My Shopping List
Vanilla-Chai Icebox Shortbread Cookies
Courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 12 Min.
Chill Time: 2 Hrs.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 1/3 c. flour
+ 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
+ 2 tsp. ground ginger
+ 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
+ 1/2 tsp. ground cardamon
+ 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
+ 1 c. granulated sugar
+ 3 Tbsp. honey
+ 1/4 tsp. salt
+ 2 large egg yolks
+ 1 medium vanilla bean
+ 1 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted
+ 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
+ more vanilla been seed scraping, if desired
+ 1 Tbsp. water
What to do:
1. In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, allspice and cardamom. Set aside.
2. Combine butter, sugar, honey and salt in a bowl. Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until smooth.
3. Using a small knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise in half. Scrape the seeds from both sides of the pod with the tip of the knife and add them to the butter-sugar mixture. Beat to combine.
4. Add in flour-spice mixture, 1 c. at a time, blending until fully incorporated.
5. Divide the dough in half and transfer each half to a sheet of wax paper. Using the wax paper, shape into a 12" log, rectangle or square. Chill logs at least 2 hrs. or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350ºF with an oven rack in the middle. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
7. With a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/8"-thick slices and arrange 1/2" apart on baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 10 to 12 min. Transfer to racks to cool.
8. In a small bowl, whisk together icing ingredients until smooth and transfer to a sealable plastic bag. Cut an 1/8" opening in one corner of bag. Arrange cookies as close together as possible on sheets of wax paper and drizzle icing decoratively across the tops.