My Shopping List
Meringue Sandwich Cookies
Courtesy of The incredible edible egg™
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 90 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 egg whites
+ 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
+ 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
+ 1/4 tsp. vanilla
+ 1/4 c. chopped, toasted pecans, almonds or walnuts
+ 2 egg yolks
+ 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
+ 1/4 c. confectioners' sugar
+ 1/2 c. skim milk
+ 1/2 c. chocolate chips semisweet or milk chocolate)
What to do:
1. In a large mixing bowl, using electric mixer on HIGH, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
2. Beat in vanilla. Fold in chopped nuts.
3. Drop meringue batter by rounded teaspoonful (about 1"-1 1/4" diameter) on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 250°F for 1 hr. Leave pan set in oven for another 30 min. Remove from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, cornstarch and confectioners sugar; beat with wire whisk to combine. Gradually, add skim milk, stirring to combine mixture.
2. Cover; microwave on HIGH for 1 min.; stir. Cook 1 more min.; stir. Add chocolate chips; stir continually until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly (filling will be very thick).
3. Spread 1 Tbsp. of filling on the bottom of one meringue cookie. Gently place another cookie on top of the filling. Cookies are best if assembled shortly before serving. The filling will soften the meringue if prepared to far in advance.
* Helpful Hints: You can store hard meringues for several months in a tightly sealed container with waxed paper between layers. If the meringue loses its crispness, reheat in a preheated 250°F oven for 15 to 20 min.
"For more ways to enjoy The incredible edible egg™, visit incredibleegg.org"
Calories: 72; Total Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 26mg; Total Carbs: 10g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 12mg;